Developing a deep understanding of our markets and assets will be fundamental to positioning Avolon to create and protect shareholder value as we emerge from the Covid-19 crisis. Aircraft asset investment and disposal strategies must be crafted to deliver superior risk-adjusted returns throughout the business cycle. The Portfolio Management Team will play a central role in framing and monitoring strategic and industry risk, identifying and mitigating asset and portfolio risk, and proactively creating commercial advantage in the marketing of our assets and restructuring of current business.
The Role: A member of the Chief Risk Officer’s team reporting to the Head of Portfolio Management, the Senior Vice President, Portfolio Management will be core to decision-making that shapes Avolon’s fleet, combining market assessment, commercial opportunity, and risk evaluation to advise the Executive Committee on aircraft asset investment and disposal strategies. The role will participate in the setting of Avolon’s medium- to long-term Business Plan including capital allocation targets for different aircraft types and vintages through two key areas: (1) Strategic & Industry Risk, and (2) Asset & Portfolio Risk.
Strategic & Industry Risk
Asset & Portfolio Risk
- Identify, monitor, and anticipate key macro industry and economic trends, ensuring the business is informed and can adapt as required.
- Lead qualitative and quantitative assessments of the future prospects for markets and regions in which our airline customers operate.
The Senior Vice President, Portfolio Management will actively participate in strategic initiatives and business development projects. Collaboration with other members of the Portfolio Management Team and coordination with all internal stakeholders will be required to achieve these responsibilities. Core Duties:
- Drive and improve aircraft investment and divestment decision-making by leading multidisciplinary teams to identify portfolio risk and mitigation strategies, and assess new investment cases.
- Develop and maintain the investment case and risk factors for all commercial aircraft types, variants, and vintages.
- Provide a risk-based contribution to setting Avolon’s acquisition and disposal strategy, balancing yield, residual value, and other portfolio risks.
The Person: You are a leader who is driven, focussed, and resourceful who can successfully navigate between commercial and risk management objectives to contribute to the development of long-term strategy for the business. You will always act with integrity and model your own behaviour to the highest standard. You will represent Avolon in a transparent and honest manner setting a strong example for others to follow. You are independent minded, not afraid to confront established thought or to accept challenge to your own views. Essential Skills and Experience:
- Lead the development and implementation of an asset risk framework that incorporates quantitative and qualitative analysis regarding the investment case and associated risk factors for all commercial aircraft types, variants, and vintages. Create a forum to engage senior management and embed their experience in the process.
- Support management in setting appropriate risk-based capital allocation targets for different aircraft types to assist the ongoing management of Avolon’s aircraft acquisition and disposal strategy.
- Devise trading asset selection strategies to manage portfolio concentration and to mitigate risk, working closely with FP&A, Trading, and Counterparty Risk teams
- Develop external relationships with OEM strategy and investor marketing teams to assess the impact to Avolon of production rate changes as well as new aircraft and engine developments, always ensuring alignment with the OEM Team.
- Leverage relationships, insight, and market analysis to develop the investment case for new aircraft categories and types, including associated risk factors.
- Evaluate portfolio asset concentration to identify the impact and risks of any major acquisition, disposal, future order, or M&A transaction.
- Support Capital Markets and Investor Relations regarding the preparation of prospectuses, Offering Memorandums, trading updates, and earnings releases. Support capital market transactions, including bond issuances and asset-backed securitizations. Collaborate with Investor Relations and Capital Markets to develop and maintain relationships with equity and debt market analysts for whom a strategic perspective is required.
- Assess the attractiveness of new markets, products and services. Incubate innovative ideas and develop new business opportunities to recommend to management.
- Actively participate in strategic initiatives and business development projects.
- Contribute to Avolon’s thought leadership agenda.
- Regular travel to OEMs, appraisers, conferences, and other events.
What else do you need to know? Please note that we will only accept applications that are made to us via our careers page at avolon.aero/careers. If you experience any difficulty when applying, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.The closing date is 22nd January 2021 and may be subject to change. We encourage you to take this opportunity to submit your application as soon as possible. Avolon is an equal opportunities employer, which cultivates opinion, listens to all views with respect, recognises people based on their merits without bias and embraces diversity.
- Experience in a global aircraft leasing company, OEM, airline, or advisory in a strategy, planning, portfolio management or business development function.
- The successful candidate would typically have eight or more years of professional experience with four or more years in a directly related role.
- Qualifications in business, finance, accounting, economics, sciences, or engineering considered an asset.
- Driven to achieve ambitious outcomes.
- Strategic mindset. Able to discern patterns and linkages across complex issues with competitive dynamics involving airlines, OEMs, lessors, and lenders framed in the context of current events, economic trends, and government policy.
- Strong analytical skills including the ability to manipulate large data sets to identify key trends in history and create a vision for the future. Able to manage others that do so.
- Able to seamlessly navigate both macro and micro, balancing quantitative and qualitative judgements.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate investment cases and develop clean sheet business plans. Able to combine strategic rationale and market opportunity with financial and risk analysis.
- Capable project manager. Manages, prioritises, tracks and delivers tasks for self and team. Able to parse complex projects into workstreams, delegate and direct others to achieve high quality results on set timelines.
- Strong oral, written, and visual presentation skills. Able to distil complex messages into key takeaways to support management decision making. Able to distil and summarize findings of analysis in PowerPoint slides that have impact, putting forward compelling arguments and rationales to all levels and audiences within Avolon and the industry..
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills. Able to develop and maintain positive business relationships. A leader who instils energy, drive and pride in self and others.
- Able to engender trust amongst stakeholders and drive better outcomes by actively collaborating with other members of the Portfolio Management Team, as well as other teams within Avolon, including Counterparty Risk, Commercial Operations, Technical, OEM, Trading, Origination, Finance, FP&A, Capital Markets, Investor Relations, and Communications & Branding.
- Excited about international travel.